Monday, July 1, 2013

Painting cabinets--Laundry Room #1

My kitchen is a typical tract kitchen--oak with oak doors and a laminate inset. It's very ugly and old, like 20 years old. And I'd love a gorgeous kitchen redo with an apron front sink and a 5ft butcher block island, but I'm realistic. 

I would not change the kitchen's footprint, although cabinet function could be better. So having new cabinets seems like a waste of money. If I am going to spend money in the kitchen then I'd put in new counter tops, although I can't decide what type right now.

Painting seems like the best option to freshen up the space and make the white, tile counter seem less ugly. I've decided that I want the uppers painted in white or off-white and the lower cabinets painted a different color. I'm between gray-brown and brown, although I pinned an image with red lowers the other day and even my husband thought it was awesome.
In the meantime, I'm watching my mom's progress as she and my dad paint the laundry room Coco. The laundry room cabinets are oak with a white wash. 

My mom applied at least two coats of Coco to the doors. The first coat was not thinned. She used Annie Sloan wax/paint brushes for her application. 
She painted the groove detail first and used a blue, mechanic-type towel to take off any excess around the edges. Then she worked over the rest of the door. The clear wax was applied to the cabinets and face frame. The lowers are nearly done. With new hardware it will be stunning! 



No comments:

Post a Comment